Someone is using my identity and information. What are my rights?

Asked over 5 years ago - Bell, CA

For the past three years, someone has been using my social security number and home information, causing me great confusion and disruption in my life. I recently tracked them down to a current residence (they moved around often) what are my rights to claim my information back, stop further infractions and prosecute an illegal person?

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

Answered . Your first step is to file a police report to document the activity. Not only will that start the legal process working, but can also help to dispute credit accounts and collections that are put against you based on somebody else's actions. Good luck. Be sure to give the police all the information you have gathered.

2. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . See the link below for a compilion of laws and rights regarding identiy theft in California.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.