Someone is trying to blackmail me, what should I do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Macomb, MI

Someone is threatening to make some very serious, but untrue aligations to my employer.
I have done nothing wrong, but the mere aligations would definetly put my job in jepordary? This person has made threats in writting and continues to send threatening messages. I have been ignoring them, but I don't know what to do.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J. Matthew Catchick Jr.


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would kindly but strongly recommend you retain a lawyer ASAP to forward this person a "cease and desist" letter, and hopefully "scare" them into ceasing this conduct. If the allegations are untrue, you may have a cause of action for Defamation, so please ensure you hire an attorney to shut this person down. I am sorry you are going through this, and I wish you all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

  2. Barry Franklin Poulson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As my colleague suggests, your first step is to retain an attorney. If the person does not back down after the letter or if they do make a false statement which harms you, your attorney will already be familiar with the case and can sue. Likely, can can also reassure your employer, if it comes to that.

    We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I... more
  3. John F. Brennan

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my brother counsel, you need to hire an attorney and if this is indeed blackmail, you are being asked to pay money or take some action in order to prevent this allegation from being revealed it is also the crime of extortion and it may be that the attorney you consult will recommend you file a claim with the authorities.
    If you know this is coming you may wish to discuss the false allegations with your employer in order to minimize their effect.

    To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,003 answers this week

2,770 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,003 answers this week

2,770 attorneys answering