Someone in NC committed libel but I am in another state. how would I handle that?

Asked over 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

a letter was presented to a third party full of lies, allegations, character assassinations and more.
it had an immediate negative effect of embarrassment, humiliation, emotional distress.....and my husband and I are both ill and not supposed to be agitated like this. it isn't the first time having problems with this woman. she is our sons mother in law.

Pro

3

Answered . Unless you have sustained a monetary loss, the cost might exceed the recovery. Most defamation lawyers want a $5,000.00 retainer just to begin work. Contact a defamation lawyer in your state to discuss.

2. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

2

Answered . You give Charlotte as your address, you say that someone in NC "committed libel" against you, but that you tell us you're "in another state." Very confusing facts. Defamation, which includes libel and slander, is a complicated body of law. As a starting point, you really need to go visit a defamation lawyer near where you live.