Someone I know from the past posted a blog about me with my pictures claiming that I stole his identity.

Asked 7 months ago - Tucson, AZ

I did not steal his identity, it was a paid day loan and he says that the loan was for $700. he says the police will not press charges because they do not have any evidence that says that I am the one that took out the loan. Can I sue him for defamation of character in small claims court?

1. Zaheer A Shah

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with Attorney Hopkins. Small claims court is not a venue for such a claim. If you are committed to this, consult a defamation attorney to consider all of your options and the costs associated with each.

2. Edward C. Hopkins Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Unfortunately, you may not file a defamation lawsuit in Arizona's small claims courts.

http://www.jp.pima.gov/pages/smallclaims/newsma...

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . Both of the other attorneys are Arizona attorneys and know the law better than me, but I wonder if the attorney's fees would not exceed any recovery you might get. Is it financially beneficial to consider filing a lawsuit?