Someone filed a police report claiming I scratched their car with my door while in parking lot

Asked 12 months ago - Detroit, MI

I went to a store and parked next to a car, I can't even remember the car I parked next too. I left home. A few days later I get a call from a police officer saying a lady took my licenses plate number and claimed I scratched her car. Can this be done? I'm so confused.

1. Ezra N. Goldman

4

Answered . Under no fault law, her own insurance would pay for parking lot damage to her car. If her insurance felt it had a case against you, it could sue you. But that is a ways off.

Now, the thing that is confounding is all is the police involvement. Did she say she intentionally scratched your car?

2. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, but for criminal liability they have to show an intent. If it was just an accident then they can make an insurance claim.

3. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

3

Answered . They can do it, but what proof do they have? Make them sue you and prove it. Sounds ridiculous.

4. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

1

Answered . First, do not talk to the police. You are under no obligation and anything you say will be used against you. Just politely tell them that you do not talk to police officers without an attorney present. They will tell you that it is not a big deal and that they just want to get your side but so what? They are right. It is not a big deal, really. Unless you intentionally scratched her car, it is not a crime. I can't even see why they would put together a police report anyway. That being said, that is what Michigan no-fault insurance is for. Her insurance covers her and yours covers you. If she failed to purchase full coverage (or at least comprehensive coverage) than she is out of luck unless she wants to sue you in small claims court but she would still have to prove you did it. Simply writing a license plate number down for the car next to her is not proof that your car door struck hers. It could have been the car before or after you. Anyway, you are under no obligation to talk to the police and if it was me, I would politely thank them for their interest in you, tell them no thank you and to have a nice day. Based on what you described, I do not see any criminal activity for them to charge you with anything. I wish you luck! If they pursue this, get a lawyer without saying anything.