Someone at my old job is telling potential employers that I was terminated. I was not terminated nor did I quit.

Denham Springs, LA |

I took a seasonal job over the summer after talking with my boss. He said I could stay employed and work on Saturdays and come back after the summer. A week later I got a letter saying I quit without notice. He was fired shortly after. I just found out today that someone in his office is saying (during a reference check) that I was terminated. I called the HR department to verify what my file stated, she said it states I quit without notice. What can I do?

1. You can ask the former employer to revise their statement since you had the permission of the previous supervisor. Unfortunately, since it appears you did not contest the letter saying you quit without notice, you may be stuck. However, I would recommend using the find lawyer tab above to locate and attorney in your area. Many attorneys offer free consultations which can help you understand your legal situation, before you decide to hire an attorney. Good Luck

Nothing herein is intended to create an attorney client relationship and the response is intended to provide generally a broad response to the area posed by the question. Each question is governed by unique facts and no answer provided is intended to specifically answer the question, but is a general overview of the area of law contained in the question.