Skip to main content

Someone any one please help me and my family!!!

Jamaica, NY |

Me and my husband had been arrested on 12/11/12. my neighbor claim we broke his arm on 11/28/12 But that was not true. My story is very long but we want to sue all the cops that arrested us plus the neighbor plus 113 precinct . The only problem is that we are looking for someone who work with people with little or no money.We have no clue on what to do and so far eveyone we went to wanted to help but could't cause of no money or they would just brush us off for being broke. Please Im beggen for help I'm a married mother of six babies all undre the age of 10 and this man was trying to rip my family apart so please someone HELP US. Please call me or email when you get the chance for the full detail. Thank you

I forgot to say we both have to go back to court soon and we have no clue what to expect. They have giving us a temporary order of protection on 12/12/12. We just want to know what to expect.

Attorney Answers 4


First, before you can sue you need to make sure the charges are dropped against you both. Your civil case will be hurt if you take a plea or are found guilty at trial. Since you do not have any money a public defender will be appointed to represent you and your husband for free or very little money. If and when the charges are dropped find a lawyer who focuses on suing the police. Typically, these types of cases are done contingency, so you only pay if he/she collects money for you. Good luck.

John S. Riordan, Esq.
]West Palm Beach, FL
(561) 886-2620

John S. Riordan, Esq., is a partner with Kelley, Kronenberg, Gilmartin, Fichtel, Wander, Bamdas, Eskalyo & Dunbrack running the West Palm Beach Criminal Defense and White Collar Crime Division. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. He can be reached at (561) 886-2620 for a free consultation. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Attorneys on this site cannot directly solicit clients. Thus, in addition to finding attorney informaiton on this site & calling the attorneys yourself, I suggest accessing, and/or You may also contact the Queens Co. Bar Association lawyer referral service for a criminal defense attorney. Good luck!

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I assume you and your husband have appeared before a judge for arraignment/initial appearance; if not, at the next court appearance ask the judge to appoint both of you an attorney to represent each of your interests separately. If you qualify, the court will appoint you a public defender to represent you in criminal court. Concentrate on your CRIMINAL defense FIRST, asserting a CIVIL claim later.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Honestly, I have read your facts and don't see anything in there that would be a basis to sue your neighbor or the police officers. If your neighbor filed a false police report, then he can be pursued criminally, but not by you. The fact that the police officers responded to a complaint filed by your neighbor and they acted on that complaint does not make them liable to your for ultimately arresting you. So, unless there is something that you are not telling us, I don't see a civil matter.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics