Some1 I know has been summoned via mail to MC: theft 2C: 20-4A over $1k. They need a court lawyer. What is the procedure?

Asked about 1 year ago - East Hanover, NJ

2nd offense. 1st offense was disposed and fines paid. The person is a Greencard holder which expires in 4 months, how does this affect them for renewal,etc? How long do these cases usually last? Whats the worst case scenario?

1. Dean P Murray

2

Answered . Any violation under Title 2C in NJ can have far reaching immigration consequences. I would strongly suggest borrowing money to hire an experienced immigration lawyer if he values the ability to remain in the United States or obtain an immigration benefit in the future.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . As a non citizen, he really needs a lawyer who understands immigration law. A second theft conviction will result in loss of the green card and deportation proceedings. I know you said your friend cannot afford a lawyer, but he needs to ask friends and family to help him out because more than just probation and a fine are at stake.

3. Mark M Cheser

Pro

1

Answered . Theft by Deception is a serious charge for a non-citizen. Although the case may be in Municipal Court the amount is a "crime" in NJ, 3rd degree. I assume from your post the the case has been reviewed and downgraded by the county prosecutor. However two DPs can certainly be a problem with the INS. In addition, a second DP may carry probation or some county time as a sentence. Many times this type of offense can be negotiated toward a dismissal. That would be the best course given his status.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now