Solicitor offering plea

Atlanta, GA |

Is it typical for the solicitor to not offer any negotiation for a municipal charge until my court date? My attorney is saying that the solicitor is not giving him any response. Was told that it would be a 30 day jail sentence at first arraignment. I am worried about what will happen and it's hard to plan, is there a chance that this sentence should be reduced to just probation or something other than jail.

You didn't mention what you were charges with - and I advice you not to discuss any of the facts of your case on this or any other public website; I am sure your attorney would agree - But in any event you need to have your attorney explain to you in detail the process & what to expect, based on his knowledge & experience.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

My answer is not intended to challenge any advice being given to you by your attorney. You should listen to the advice of your current counsel; if your are unsatisfied with your present attorney, fire him/her and hire a hew lawyer.

Municipal Court (do you mean Atlanta Municipal Court) is typical a backwards, sluggish, nonsensical court. If it's the court I'm thinking of, I can guarantee you you won't hear anything until you actual go to court. Depending on the charges, you may want to "bind over" your case to another court (State or Superior).

But yes, it's quite typical for the court to not offer you anything until you show up; frankly, they're not required to offer you anything anyways. I can't tell you if it can be reduced because nowhere in your question did you tell us what the charges were....

It is not unusual for a city solicitor to be a part-time prosecutor and unable to look at every case until the court date which may be why your attorney is having trouble reaching that solicitor. Trust your attorney to represent you.