Skip to main content

Sole Legal Custody, Sole Physical Custody, & father has no visitation rights and moved out of state 2 yrs ago. Can I move to FL

Clifton Park, NY |

3 years ago I was granted sole legal, physical custody because father failed to meet court requirements and I did (took a year to do.) He is now located on the other side of the country and in Iraq in the Army till July. My husband and I got offered a great job opportunity in FL and want to take the kids. Being that my daughters father doesnt even have visitation rights, do I need to go through court to file or can I just move since his visitation will not be comprimised and his legal address isnt even in NYS?

also...when i say NYS is not his legal address, neither is Iraq...that wasnt what I meant. His legal address is another state on the other side of the country and was his legal address for a year before he even went to Iraq.

Attorney Answers 1


There's not enough information in your posting to answer fully. You should consult with a local attorney and discuss the current order as well as the situation, then make a decision as to whether you want to file a petition seeking court approval for your move.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics