Skip to main content

Sole Custody (L&P) Visit by mutual agreement only, if I relocate OR take ext vacation closer to NCP can he try to motion

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Family law

I have sole custody of both our children (physical and legal) and visitation is by mutual agreement of both parties (only,) so essentially I am free to move about now after having gone through the hoops.
Thanks to DCSS filing for reduction of child support amount (which is okay w me short term, he was laid off and is on Unemployment) I now may be stating a case for child support all over again. I want to include visitation travel as we agreed he would pay that since he moved away, and I also want to include cost of living as anticipated and show cost in San Francisco (as one option to split the difference between L.A. and his smaller town.) IF we moved closer could he then file to restrict our movement in a way it is not now?

Attorney Answers 2


The court will always have jurisdiction over the issue of child support, visitation and custody as it is to protect the children. It is a possibility but as the years pass it is less and less a possibility.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


This seems quit dysfunctional. Yes, "IF [you] moved closer could he then file to restrict our movement in a way it is not now" and he can do if you don't move closer.

Unless he has returned to the workforce you have little to gain with your support motion except an order requiring him to make contacts in the Greater Depression. I would utilize the Co. Dep. of Child Support Services to pursue any support motion.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics