Skip to main content

Social services is trying to make me sign a consent form so my mother will have my son. Are they taking my parental rights?

Kannapolis, NC |

I need to know if i sign the papers is this giving my mother my rights to my child or is this temperary

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Potentially, yes. It depends on what they are asking you to actually sign. You are correct to be concerned. PLEASE consult an experienced family law attorney in your area immediately. Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: W. Lee Allen, III is licensed only in the state of North Carolina. This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response is only intended to provide general information and there may be other facts relevant to the issue which were not disclosed by the questioner and which would affect the answer. For specific legal guidance, the questioner should confer with an attorney about the specifics of his or her matter.

  2. Reading the papers would be your best strategy. Next, you could address any remaining questions to the social worker. As a general rule termination of parental rights is only by court order, but some states have a formal consent to termination that can result in that court order.

    For legal assistance, you should locate and consult with your nearest Legal Aid office.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

  3. Read the papers very carefully and have an Attorney read them as well and advise you what they say. It should be free or rather inexpensive if it is only a few pages long.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics