Social services is trying to make me sign a consent form so my mother will have my son. Are they taking my parental rights?

Asked about 1 year ago - Kannapolis, NC

I need to know if i sign the papers is this giving my mother my rights to my child or is this temperary

1. Walker L. Allen III

1

Answered . Potentially, yes. It depends on what they are asking you to actually sign. You are correct to be concerned. PLEASE consult an experienced family law attorney in your area immediately. Good luck.

2. Paula Brown Sinclair

Answered . Reading the papers would be your best strategy. Next, you could address any remaining questions to the social worker. As a general rule termination of parental rights is only by court order, but some states have a formal consent to termination that can result in that court order.

For legal assistance, you should locate and consult with your nearest Legal Aid office.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . Read the papers very carefully and have an Attorney read them as well and advise you what they say. It should be free or rather inexpensive if it is only a few pages long.