Social Security handed my social security number and my kids to a third party, is this legal?

San Diego, CA |

My husband is about to receive SSDI and our kids, his son and my self are going to receive SSDI for dependents. My husbands ex-wife informed us that she now has our social security numbers. She read them to us on the phone so I know that she does. She didn't even know my last name and now she has my social security number. We've been having problems with her trying to find anything to use against me so she can take their child away from us and now social security gave her my social security number and my kids. What can I do about this????? This can't be legal!

1. My sense is that your husband's former wife and the mother of the child they had together received a communication from SSA advising her about the child's eligibility for dependents' benefits on his father's account. I strongly recommend that you contact your SSA district office to make certain that there are no further inappropriate disclosures of information about other dependents.

I would be concerned that SSA may not have the correct address for your husband. You need to meet with an SSA staff person about this matter. Good luck with this.

This advice is not a substitute for a thorough evaluation of all of the facts of the situation with an experienced SSA benefits attorney.

Social security topics