SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY SCHEDLUED ME FOR 2 DOCTORS APPOINTMENTS. AFTER I WENT TO THE FIRST ONE, THEY CANCELLED THE SECOND WHY

Crossville, TN |

AFTER I COMPLETED THE FIRST DOCTORS EXAM, THEY TOLD ME THEY HAD ALL THE INFO THEY NEEDED AND I WOULD NOT BE GOING TO THE NEXT DOCTOR. THE REASON BEING THEY HAD ALL THE MEDICA INFO NECCESARY. IS THIS A GOOD SIGN I WILL GET THE DISABILITY. WHAT AM I WAITING FOR NEXT?

1. It is not possible to accurately predict your likelihood of success based on the information you have provided. However, keep in mind that statistically, the likelihood of approval for disability at either the first or second level of review is pretty low, even if you have strong evidence. You should contact a social security disability specialist in your area for a consultation on your claim.

2. With a few exceptions, Tennessee DDS (the state agency that handles the first two decisions, and all the medical exams) will usually schedule everyone for 2 exams - one with a physical doc, and one with a psychologist or psychiatrist. Sometimes they won't schedule the psych exam, if there's absolutely no indication of depression or anything else like that, but most people who are unable to work are depressed about it, to a certain degree, so they get the psych exam. On the other hand, they sometimes schedule 2 appointments with a physical doctor, one for an exam and another for an X-ray, or breathing tests, or an eye exam, or whatever is relevant to your case. It could be a good sign that they cancelled your appointment, but it might mean nothing. Unless you have additional medical information to submit, there's nothing for you to do at this point but wait for a decision. It shouldn't take too long (a few weeks to a month) if they've cancelled a medical exam and told you they have all the info they need.

Good luck, and be sure to find yourself an attorney if you get denied.

Jeremy Bordelon is a licensed attorney in the State of Tennessee only, and is authorized to practice in all Tennessee State and Federal courts, and before the Social Security Administration in any jurisdiction. Please call our firm at 1-866-959-5362 if you would like to discuss your case in more detail. The answers provided on Avvo.com are for information purposes only, and should not be relied on as legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. In some jurisdictions, this answer may be construed as attorney advertising.

3. My colleagues' responses are good. The statistics do show very low odds of winning at initial and reconsideration, and if an exam is canceled, then a decision does normally come out within a month or so.

Good luck to you. Remember that if you want to get an attorney, you may contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. Most attorneys who do any amount of Social Security work are members of NOSSCR and provide a free initial consultation. In any event, no attorney may charge a fee for work on a social security claim until it has been approved by Social Security. The fee limit is a maximum of 25% of past due or back due benefits you are owed, and many lawyers charge less than the full 25%, and the money is not paid until your claim has been approved.

The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is www.nosscr.org.

In addition, you can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive experience and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is: http://www.nblsc.us/

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Social security topics