Social Security Disability Ruling On The Term "Access To Money" For A SSI Claim

Asked 8 months ago - Dallas, TX

Because of my disability I have had to move back in with my elderly parents. They are both living off of their Social Security. My dad had to return to his old job to work half-days because of medical costs for my mom who has COPD. While he is at work during the afternoon, I some times have to drive my mom to her doctors appointments and take her to pick up her medicine. There are other times when she asks me to take her somewhere to "get out of the house". I struggle enough with my own health problems, but I do what I can for my parents. My mom has reached the period in her life where she is not always able to sign their checks (she shakes quite a bit). She is also asleep much of the day and there are many times when I have to buy her something without her getting out of the house.

My parents would like to allow me to sign their checks for those instances when my mom is unable to and my dad is at work. If my name is added as a "signature only" to their account, will that mess with my current SSI claim? I'm afraid the SSA will convert my ability to sign their check as "access to other funds". I don't have access to their funds, just able to sign a check for "payment". I suppose I "could" sign a check to me as cash, but that would be theft (which of course I would never do). I'm just trying to make sure I don't put myself into a situation where the SSA can "get me" based off of a technicality.

1. Judy Greenbaum Croy

3

Answered . Your question appears incomplete. You probably want to review it and resubmit.

2. Joe Matthew Queen

3

Answered . I'd consult a Social Security lawyer who knows something about estate planning. A power of attorney and a few other documents would likely be all you need to protect yourself.

3. Michael T Warshaw

2

1

Answered . What you are asking, it seems, is whether you can become a representative payee, and if you do, will that disqualify you from receiving SSI benefits, that you are currently receiving on your own, for your own disability. You will be required to account for all of the money that you receive in this fashion, and show how you spent it for your Mom's benefit, only.
    If that is the case, you will probably not be disqualified, form your own SSI, but to be sure, you need to speak with a lawyer near you who handles this kind of case. Use Avvo find a lawyer feature to locate one to help you.