Social Security Disability and Child Support.

Seattle, WA |

1. I was approved for SSDI.
2. I am divorced.
3. My wife has custody of my child.
My questions?
A : Does my child still qualify for the family SSDI benefit? (1/2 of my PIA)
B : Do I still pay the same amount of child support out of my SSDI to my wife in addition to the SSDI amount the child will receive or is there an offset?
C ; Does my ex wife also qualify for family SSDI benefits b/c she has custody of the child?

Thank you.

A. Yes.
B. Probably not. The SSDI child benefit should count against your child support obligation. Now that you have been found to be disabled, you may want to go back to court for a new child support order, considering your decreased income and get an order clarifying your obligations under these changed circumstances.
C. No.

Good luck to you.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

Thanks so much for your response Susan. Much appreciated!

This question should be posted under SSI/Disability

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

As previously stated the SSDI benefit may offset your child support obligation. This will not happen by itself, however. You should contact attorney that deals with family law. They will need to seek a modification of your child support based on your new set of circumstances.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody