Social Security (Attorney) drops our case 13 day prior to court hearing?Just looking for relief for the widows son!

Urbana, OH |

A attorney that was representing us in a battle for social security, after representing us after almost 2 years...suddenly decides not to represent us 13 days prior to a set hearing with the Dayton Office of Disability Adjudication and Review Office. This attorney agreed to the set date of the hearing, then send us a letter stating, that he all of a sudden didn't find grounds enough to follow through with the hearing. We have more then enough evidence to prove my wife is unable to work a normal job (doctor reports, doctor statements and other correspondence from professional). it seem evident to me this attorney didn't take the time to review the almost 15 years of records we have on hand to secure this issue. My question is this "now what do we do?"

Req7est a contiuance so that you can find another attorney. You can put the request in writing to the hearings office, but you will need to show up to the hearing as scheduled to get the continuance in most cases. If you just don't show up, the case will be dismissed. Be aware that something made the attorney think you were not going to prevail. No matter what you think, the attorney has training and experience, I hope. Your new attorney can help findd out what the problem was.

This response is based on the limited facts presented and is not intended to substitute for direct legal advice, nor is it intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to direct you to issues which you may desire to explore further.

I agree with my colleague. In addition, make sure he signs a waiver of fees if you do win. Without this another attorney may not take the case.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Lisa Kaye Deselms Dent

Lisa Kaye Deselms Dent

Good point about the fees. Reputable practitioners generally waive as a matter of course in order that clients not ne prejudiced, but you want to make sure there is no accidental neglect of the issue.

You should also ask your prior attorney for your file. This will allow your new attorney to review the evidence and more fully explain the strengths and weaknesses of your case.

Administrative law topics