Social media disciplinary action

Asked over 2 years ago - Kennewick, WA

I was given a verbal warning for a facebook post.
They had taken my posts (printed off by a coworker who has been blocked on my account and my account settings are to private) that were rebuttles to previous posts from non work related friends.
My store director had what amounted to half the story in front of him.
The coworker only printed off my posts and took what they had as "face value".
I felt violated (my settings are private) and that they did not cover all areas.
I had stated many times that this coworker was "cyber stalking" me over the year.
I do not have my employer listed and I go by my maiden name.
I stated that I have over 100 facebook friends and I do not comment on coworkers I do comment on my friends (non coworkers).I was basically told what I am allowed to put on my facebook period.

I now have a verbal warning on my permanent work file before which it was clean.
I have had a facebook account for a long time.
I just feel the employer violated my privacy by not fully researching the source and accepting what they had as it stood because someone chose to "pick and choose" what they printed off.
They did not ask what the posts meant/who they referred to they assumed they pertained to my supervisor.I do have a few coworkers as friends but these coworkers could view the previos posts I was rebutting and knew I was not even referring to any one at my work place.

1. Robert Daniel Kelly

Pro

Answered . Maybe you should sue them all for slander, libel, and defamation of character.

2. Nina Yablok

Answered . Well now you know that nothing on the Internet is private. If you have something to say to someone, don't post it in Facebook even with privacy settings.

About your warning - most companies have procedures for going up the chain of command if you object to a disciplinary action. Read your employee handbook and see to whom you should speak to explain more about the situation.