So the work permit thru the new deferred action process for young immigrants ONLY applies to those identified for deportation?

South Gate, CA |

What of the rest of individuals who meet all the same "deferred action" eligibility criteria EXCEPT having been targeted for deportation? And what is meant by being "DREAM-Act" eligible? Is that a separate set of requirements that needs to be met as well?

Hello. To be clear, the new Obama policy IS NOT the DREAM Act. The president of the U.S. CANNOT pass immigration legislation. If you meet the criteria, as a matter of discretion, (1) you won't be placed in jeopardy of deportation (or if you are in deportation proceedings, the government may use its prosecutorial discretion and terminate the proceedings) (2) you will be eligible for a work permit (employment authorization).

You DO NOT have to be in deportation proceedings to qualify. You should contact an attorney to determine your eligibility for Obama's new immigraiton policy.

DISCLAIMER - NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: The information provided in this email is intended for informational purposes only. This email does not necessarily reflect current legal or factual developments and is general in nature. Nothing set forth in this email should be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. Furthermore, the information provided in this email is provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Attorney Arie Ebrahimian makes no warranty, express or implied, about the correctness, accuracy or reliability of the information set forth in this email. The information provided in this email should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of legal services with Attorney Arie Ebrahimian or establish an attorney-client relationship absent a written agreement for legal services. Thank you.

2. no no no. the work permit will be for every one who qualifies.the requirements are the same. uscis is applying this to people with and without deportation orders equally. be patient. there is more misinformation out there than facts at this point.

The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez or Yong Wood highly skilled and experienced.

3. Your information is not correct, this applies to everyone who meets the basics. You do not need to be in deportation proceedings.

4. No. It applies to anyone who meets all the qualifications. Being in deportation proceedings is not one of the qualifications.

1. Obama's action is a policy and not a law. It is not an Act.

2. USCIS has yet to announce how the application process will be carried on.

3. I will be updating http://engnishimura.com/faqs/deferred-action-young-immigrants as details become available.

4. Obama's policy does not provide immigration status. It only prevents qualifying individuals from being deported and may provide them with a work permit.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

5. Read more on the requirements on our blog at www.immigrationbn/blog. The Government has not advised us of the costs or the exact procedure. We should know by August 15, 2012. In the meantime, you can gather documents that evidence you are eligible.