Small Claims in CA: after you dismiss a Small Claims case which was not heard: are you allowed to file for costs of suit?

Such as the filing fee and process servers? Or any other legit costs?--such as ?

San Diego, CA -

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Litigation Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

Costs can only be awarded to a "prevailing party" and dismissing your case does not make you a "prevailing party".

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Litigation Lawyer - Sherman Oaks, CA

No.

Adam Jay Jaffe

Adam Jay Jaffe

Litigation Lawyer - Solana Beach, CA

Dismissal prior to hearing is tantamount to a settlement. Though you may have not settled, only the prevailing party (or party who won) is allowed to get costs.

If you have further questions, be sure to speak with a lawyer that knows about Small Claims.

Related Advice