Small Claims in CA: after you dismiss a Small Claims case which was not heard: are you allowed to file for costs of suit?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

Such as the filing fee and process servers? Or any other legit costs?--such as ?

1. Michael Charles Doland

3

1

Answered . Costs can only be awarded to a "prevailing party" and dismissing your case does not make you a "prevailing party".

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

3

Answered . No.

3. Adam Jay Jaffe

Pro

1

1

Answered . Dismissal prior to hearing is tantamount to a settlement. Though you may have not settled, only the prevailing party (or party who won) is allowed to get costs.

If you have further questions, be sure to speak with a lawyer that knows about Small Claims.