Small claims court for a vehicle that was purchased but titled and registered in my name - he owes back child support

Asked over 2 years ago - Concord, CA

I helped my daughters father purchase a car. He ended up living with me over the past 6 months and paying me back for the vehicle in small amounts. The car was still titled and registered in my name. I eventually had to kick him out of my home and seized the vehicle back. He is now suing me for the car or the money he put into the car. I decided to seize the car because he owes me back child support for daycare in the amount of $1200 - as well as being in arrears in the current support order of $1300. The car was purchased for $2200, but is only worth $1600. I am thinking of filing a counterclaim so that I can just sell the car and recoup the outstanding support he owes me. I am just wondering if the judge will grant me the vehicle or will I end up having to give him back the money

Attorney answers (1)

  1. John Noah Kitta

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . No offense, it sounds like your ex is a real creep. You have a valid Court Order. Why don't you file a Cross Complaint against him for the arrearage? If he is working, you might want to even think about going to Family Law Court and get the child support increased and also you should attach his wages. If you want to be very aggressive, you could sell the car, apply the money towards the amount he owes you and show the court the receipts and the child support Order to justify your actions.

    Unless you catch the judge on a very bad day, I cannot imagine that he is going to allow your ex to obtain a car, not pay past and current due child support. If I was the judge, which I have served many times in Small Claims Court as pro tem judge, I would say to the guy, " You can't be serious".

    I hope this is helpful.

    John N. Kitta
    (510) 797-7990

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Property repossession

Property repossession can happen if you are behind in your payments. Creditors are not required to send notice before they repossess your property or vehicle.

Robert Franklin Dean

Vehicle Repossessions in Maryland

Car dealers and other merchants dealing in very valuable goods who allow customers to finance their purchases usually keep a security interest in the goods they sell. If the purchaser... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,569 answers this week

2,756 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,569 answers this week

2,756 attorneys answering