Small claims

Merced, CA |

I was awarded a small claims judgment. The defendant was present and is a corporation.
I was told that because they are a corporation they had 60 days instead of the normal 30 days to appeal? is that correct?

Whoever told you that was confused. Defendants, including both corporations and natural persons, have 30 days after the clerk mails the notice of entry of judgment to appeal.

I think your advice was misunderstood. Corporations are not given extra time to appeal in small claims cases.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold www.EGoldLaw.com Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

I've never heard of such a rule. (Whoever told you that must have gotten their numbers mixed-up or something.)

No, this is not correct. Both individuals, corporations and all other entitities have 30 days to appeal.