Slipped & fell- GA School Property-Negligence-REQUIRED SURGERY. Do I need Premises Liability Attny w/exp suing school districts?

Lawrenceville, GA |

Cement Walkway On SCHOOL Property has A/C Water Drain & Roof Drain DIRECTING Water ACROSS walk! Mud&Pollen Settled Causing Slippery Mess! PLENTY OF WITNESSES,HAZARD IGNORED FOR YRS.

Gwinnett County Ambulance transported 2 hospital. Given morphine for pain. Hospital tests showed crushed wrist bone, required painful surgery & insertion of titanium plate. Month in a cast & mo's of painful rehab. Head injury as well, head slammed onto pavement causing concussion, scrapes & major bruising which took months to heal. Dr's concerned continued headaches may indicate skull fracture from fall. I had not a considered lawsuit, but school has STILL NOT CORRECTED problem!
*Statute Of Limitations Ends The End Of Next Month!*
1)Have I Waited Too Late? 2) If needed, HOW do I Find This TYPE of attorney?

The school system might have soverign immunity from suit. You will find a good summary of possible bars to suit in this letter from one local school system: http://www.clayton.k12.ga.us/administration/humanrsc/riskmngmnt/SovImmun.pdf .

Having said that, there could be OTHER defendants, which, if a lawyer had time to investigate, could be pursued, such as whatever contractor created the hazard. And since we don't know from your post if this is a public school, you have more remedies with a private school.

You should have sought counsel a long time ago to evaluate if you have a viable claim. Since you didn't, and at some point too few days will exist for a lawyer to investigate, see a lawyer this week.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

You can find an experienced personal injury attorney by using the "Find a Lawyer" function on this sit or by requesting a recommendation from your local bar association

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

Read the answers you received for the same questions earlier today.

Mr Riddle, I tried to add a couple of questions to my earlier post without success. However, if you read both posts I asked two different questions than I had in the first post. (I included part of the first post in for attorneys who hadn't replied, or may have not seen the first post. They were "additional " questions as you seemed to not have noticed. It was quite unnecessary for you to post that I should read earlier answers. Especially, when those very answers prompted me to ask a couple of new questions. Must be a bad day for attorneys for some of you to reply back with ridiculous suggestions or accusations implying that posters don't actually read the answers. Really?!

AND, you have an A rating as well? Makes one wonder how many things you may not "completely read throughly" before giving advice to your own clients.

You need an attorney who specializes in personal injury claims and who has experience in filing suit against public entities such as a school district. You can find this type of attorney by using the "Find A Lawyer" link on this web site.

Why do you keep posting the same question?

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-668-3790 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at don@HawbakerLaw.) An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated my Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Mr. Hawbaker, I'm not sure why you even replied to my question to only critize what I hadn't done with a rude reply. Maybe you should have read the entire first and second post before you post a ridiculous reply. I tried to post an additional question after I'd been given some of the answers I needed. For some reason I couldn't edit and add questions to my first post. HOWEVER, had you bothered to read the complete first AND second post; you would have seen I was asking two totally differentquestions on my second post! I asked IF I needed to find an attny who specialized in premises liability law AND exactly how to locate an attny who had that experience including school district suits. I am definitely glad I DONT have you as my attorney as you seem quite uncapable of either reading the posts completely and chose to smugly reply replying to the 2nd post instead. Thanks, but no thanks. Maybe you've had a difficult day; but it's very unprofessional to be acting as if someone has wasted your time by posting another question about an accident. Frankly, I'm not sure why you would have an A rating if this is the way you'd answer clients questions. No need to respond, just thought you might want to think first, and perhaps READ, before you respond to questions.

I would be concerned with the statute of limitations in this case. In some states you have a year to sue a municipality or a school district, as well as there are sometimes written notice requirements. You should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney.

My post is for informational purposes only and in no way establishes an attorney client relationship.

If the statute is running next month, there is certainly still an opportunity to file and properly handle the matter. However, some attorneys may be unable to fully evaluate your case in the shorter amount of time and therefore be unwilling to handle your matter - it will depend on the attorney.

Looks like you've got a lot of questions and need some real answers real quick. I answered your earlier question and I practice premises liability. I think it may be best to now have a sit down with a lawyer and ask all the questions you like. Many will do this free of charge.

There are a lot of personal injury lawyers out there; too many if you ask me. I am not sure why you are having trouble finding one. Most of them do it on a contingency basis too. Ask a lot of questions and try to find one with a lot of experience.

Possibly. When you sue governmental entity, you must provide written notice of a claim within a short amount of time. These are complicated cases and I recommend you contact an attorney with experience in these types of claims immediately.

The majority of experienced personal injury lawyers have had plenty of experience with these claims.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury