Slip and fall case declined by 3 personal injury attorneys, despite the premise's acknowledgement of fault! What do I do now?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I slipped in a Home Depot bathroom, filed a report with the manager about the injured hand/wrist, took photos of the floor and my damaged shoe. HD corporate offered to reimburse me for what I estimated would be the cost of my physical therapy co-pays and the replacement value of my shoes. They sent me the offer in writing, which I had the good sense not to sign nor to reply to. I have since learned that the injury extends into my forearm and will take 6-12 months to heal. I am a licensed esthetician, so I will be unable to earn wages in that capacity for the rest of the year. I think I have a case, but one law firm said it wasn't "catastrophic" enough and another advised me to contact HD's medical insurance claims dept for reimbursement. How do I factor in subrogation & unemployment?

1. Vanessa Catherine Whirl

10

Best Answer

Answered . If you have Medi-Cal you will need to notify them shortly after you file a claim; you can do so online. If you have private insurance, there is a often a clause for subrogation in your contract with them as well. If you start getting calls to pay bills, let them know you are filing a claim and they will just want updates of the status. Then you can pay them when you get paid out and may be able to negotiate down the amount due.

I would contact a PI attorney to assist you in your case. You do not have to have "catastrophic" damages to bring a claim. Often, and attorney will issue a demand letter and negotiate back and forth with the insurance company. If an agreement is reached, great. If not, you would then file a complaint. This can get complicated to negotiate yourself.

I wish you the best of luck.

2. Adrienne Patricia Allen

11

Answered . Also there could be something wrong with liability in your case. Just because there is water on the floor does not mean HD is at fault. You will have to show that HD knew or should have known about a dangerous condition and negligently failed to do something about it. If there was nothing on the floor (you don't mention what caused you to slip) then you certainly do not have a case. The best thing is to continue to consult with an attorney and if they do not take your case, ask them why not. Good luck.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

12

Answered . As you are appropriately determined, try anothe attorney. Perhaps someone relatively new to personal injury litigation or looking to establish a practice. Their threshold for a case may be lower; economics. Unfortunately, not every case has a remedy. Your learning just how difficult it is to pursue a case.

4. Robert Max Klein

Pro

9

1

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your troubles finding a lawyer. There are many good lawyers in San Diego. I recommend that you keep trying. Places to look for lawyers include the Avvo site. Asking friends and family. The San Diego Bar Association or even the referral panel for the State of CA (http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/LawyerReferralS...).

I hope you have a full recovery and get back to work.

5. Michael Shemtoub

6

Answered . You need to get a copy of the incident report and any other documentation, such as medical records, and have them reviewed by an attorney who is experienced in such claims. I have personally dealt with other California claims of a similar nature. I have worked personally on numerous injury cases and it is important for you to know that time is of the essence when bringing an action forward. Having proper representation can protect your cause of action. Best of luck to you,..

6. William Peter Daley

5

Answered . As the others have suggested, there may be some issues in your case that are causing the attorneys who you spoke to to have a concern. As you're doing, continue to speak with other attorneys here in San Diego to see if there isn't one of us who is interested in helping you with matter. Most of us here on AVVO offer a free consultation so it's no cost to you to speak with one of us hopefully one if us can help you.

http://lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com/san-diego-pe...

7. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

5

Answered . I would strongly recommend that you continue to contact personal injury attorneys until you find representation. One of my closest friends and esteemed colleagues, Mr. Martin Weniz, handles slip and fall cases. He is a talented attorney and takes excellent care of his clients. I have included his link below and I would strongly recommend that you give him a call. Best of luck.

Pro

6

Answered . I'm sure another lawyer will pick up your case. Contact one of the above lawyers to discuss or use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool.

9. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

1

Answered . Keep looking for a lawyer.

10. Matthew C Simon

Pro

Answered . To be safe, seek a local personal injury attorney to get maximum compensation. There sounds like there could be a lot of legal issues in the future and you want to be well represented. If the attorney you sought out won't take the case, keep looking. Perhaps a smaller firm or solo practitioner. Good luck.