Slip and fall , whats my case worth?

Asked over 5 years ago - Fall River, MA

I broke my tib and fib ( which went through the skin...ouch) falling down my landlords stairs which the railing came loose during the fall. i have over 100,000 dollars in medical bills...I have had 3 surguries and will be in a cast for 6 months.. i am still not sure when i will be able to walk hopefully in 6 months with therapy. i have 4 children one severly disabled that had to stop his own therapy to stay with a relative due to my not being able to take care of him.I am a realtor and connot work at all but have no real weekly income. I am still in contant pain and was in the hospital for 3 weeks during the 3 surguries. everyone says i have a good case but what is it really worth. i have heard a lot of different answers.

1. Bruce H Murray

Answered . There is no way to accurately determine the worth of your case at this time. Each case is different and is often very fact specific. Assuming the liablilty against your landlord is reasonably clear, and the fact you have over $100K in medical bills, your case could have substantial value. There are plenty of attorneys who may be willing to prominse you a certain recovery, but I'll tell you, with 22 years of experience in handling personal injury case on behalf of both plaintiff''s and insurance companies, any promises made at this time are worthless.

If you would like to discuss your case further, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

2. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

Answered . You should meet with an attorney immediately. The variables that go into a determination of the value of a case are complex and can change dramatically depending on what county you are in, what insurance company, if any, the landlord uses, the circumstances under which you fell, the condition of the landlord, the reason for your fall, your credibility as a witness, etc., etc.

No attorney can promise you an amount of recovery, and just because an attorney promises you a high value, doesn't mean they will actually be able to convince the insurance company to pay it. Please note that there are time limits within which you must file a claim, or you may lose your right to do so. These cases can take some time to put together and you should see an attorney right away to get started - even if you have not yet finished treatment.

Please feel free to contact my office if you would like to discuss this matter further.

3. Marc Lawrence Breakstone

Answered . I agree with the general impressions of the two lawyers who have already answered your question. Any experienced attorney will, or should tell you that the value of your case cannot be known until there has been a thorough investigation of the cause of your injury and until you have reached a medical end result. The value of a claim is always dependent on a number of variables which may take considerable time to sort out. In your case, the most important factor is the issue of your residual impairment and how this injury will affect the rest of your life. Based on your description, the case has significant potential value. I agree with the others who have counseled you to obtain a competent, experienced attorney as soon as possible. I would invite you to read the reviews of several former clients who have posted on my AVVO website and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your claim. I have handled a number of very significant cases like yours. Good luck.