Slip & fall IN THE HOSP visiting a patient, 2 of there own docs witnessed the fall.they took me to xray and ER billing me $1700

Asked almost 5 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

I called each time a bill arrived got the runaround. Now 1 yr later collection calls and they runied my credit score which was 822.

1. Tonald Edmund Spinks

1

Answered . The law of Florida regarding slip and falls requires the owner or operator of a premises to use reasonable care to protect people invited on the premises from dangerous conditions of which they may have knowledge. It requires them to take reasonable care to eliminate known dangers by excluding visitors from the area or warning them of the danger.

Florida Statute states "the person or entity in possession or control of the business premises owes a duty of reasonable care to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition for the safety of business invitee on the premises, which includes reasonable efforts to keep the premises free from transitory foreign objects or substances that might forseeably give rise to loss, injury or damage". The statute further states that in any civil action for negligence involving an injury caused by a slip and fall incident on a business premises, the injured party shall have the burden of proving a number of facts including, but not limited to, proving that "the person or entity in possession or control of the business premises acted negligently by failing to exercise reasonable care and maintenance, inspection, repair, warning, or mode of operation of the business premises.

If you feel the hospital is liable for your injuries, you should contact a local attorney to discuss the issue.

Ed Spinks
    ___________________________________
    From the desk of T. Edmund Spinks, Esq. P.L.
    304 Plant Ave. S. Suite 100
    Tampa, FL 33606
    Phn: 813-254-2770
    Fax: 813-254-2772
    ed@spinkslawfirm.com
    www.spinkslawfirm.com

Disclaimer: legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. This information is not intended as legal advice for an individual situation, it is only provided as information.

2. Lucreita D. Becude

Answered . Have you filed suit for personal injury? If not, you should before the statute of limitation runs out. While the suit is being worked out, the collection will be put on hold and possibly the credit report will have to remove the collection until suit is finalized. If you were at fault, then you need to speak to an attorney who handles negotiations as to collection payments. Call me - first 1/2 hour consultation free.

3. Chelsie Marie Lamie

Answered . Sorry to hear about your fall and the hospital sending your bill to collections -- talk about adding insult to injury!

Whether or not the hospital is responsible for your medical bills and pain and suffering related to this fall depends on whether the hospital was liable for your fall. To determine this, an attorney would need to know WHY you fell -- wet floor with no sign, etc.

If I can be of service to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Take care,
    Chelsie

Law Office of Chelsie M. Lamie, P.A.
    Former Adjuster. Former Insurance Company Lawyer. Accident Survivor.
    www.chelsielamie.com
    email: chelsielamie@yahoo.com