Slidding door at hotel fell on friend and he got hurt is hotel responsible for accident

Asked 10 months ago - Myrtle Beach, SC

we were at vacation and were on balcony , slidding door fell off and hit friend he was hurt do they pay

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

Answered . Perhaps -- your friend needs a personal injury attorney to investigate.

2. John A. Jackson

4

Answered . Maybe. There are a lot of variables. That you will need to discuss with an attorney.

3. Michael David Myers

Pro

5

Answered . It depends on what caused the door to fall. If normal use then it's likely your friend has a valid claim against the hotel.

Your friend need to hire an experienced personal injury attorney. Most provide free consultations and work on a contingent basis.

Email attorneys this weekend and set up teleconferences for Monday. AVVO has a tool to help your friend find a lawyer: http://www.avvo.com/find-a-lawyer

4. Charles Welling O'Donnell

Pro

4

Answered . There is a POTENTIAL personal injury claim here, but many more facts need to be presented and investigated by an experienced Personal Injury Attorney BEFORE a fair answer can be rendered. For example, the CAUSE of the malfunction, and many other factors. Don't try to have your friend settle this matter on their own with the hotel, without getting a consultation from a SC Personal Injury Lawyer...many of the excellent SC lawyers on this site will provide an initial free consult....call one of them TODAY. Best- Charlie

Pro

4

Answered . If defective. Have a local personal injury lawyer investigate.

6. Michael R Crosner

3

Answered . You need the assistance of a local personal injury attorney to investigate the cause of the incident and handle your claim. Do not provide information to the hotel's insurance adjusters until you consult with an attorney.

7. Jonathan Brooks Davis

1

Answered . What is a "slidding door"?

8. Stephan Victor Futeral

Answered . There is a strong possibility the property owner may pay for the injuries assuming that your friend didn't contribute to the accident by trying to remove/fix the sliding door when it fell or otherwise cause damage to the door. I have attached a link to an article that describes "premises liability claims" in South Carolina. Hope that helps you.

9. Daniel Nathan Hughey

Pro

Answered . We have handled many premises liability cases in the Myrtle Beach area as a result of similar type claims. This is one matters involving a rental property in Myrtle Beach. In that case, a dock collapsed causing my client to fall and suffer a broken leg. We ended up resolving the case for $1,625,000.00 because we showed that the realty company had failed to properly maintain the dock. http://www.hugheylawfirm.com/PDF/1.625mil_DockC...

Each case is different and must be evaluated on its own merits. This is not intended to imply a similar result.

Premises liability law, in South Carolina, is essentially this, which I wrote in a blog post yesterday. http://www.hugheylawfirm.com/blog/2013/10/27/so...

I have prosecuted claims involving sliding doors before as well, in Horry County. In general, the issue will include evaluating damages as well as liability. In premises liability cases, the invitee (business visitor) is offered the utmost duty of care by the owner or occupier of the premises. The owner or occupier of the property owes to an invitee or business visitor the duty of exercising reasonable or ordinary care for his safety, and is liable for injuries resulting from the breach of this duty.

The owner must warn an invitee of any unsafe conditions of which the defendant knew or should have known, The owner must use due care to discover risks and take safety precautions to warn of or eliminate foreseeable unreasonable risks.

Additionally, he owes a duty to warn of hidden dangers or unsafe conditions ofwhich the merchant knows or in the exercise of reasonable supervision and inspection should know.

A Plaintiff can be up to 50% at fault and still recover. The Plaintiff's comparative negligence reduces the award by the percentage.