Skip to main content

Slanderous/false statements made public by facebook

El Paso, TX |

my friend is 15, a 20 year old is bullying her, this isn't the first case or the first person this 20 year old has bullied. makign false statements about a horse without hard evidence and posting it all over facebook. what can my 15 year old friend do legally to stop this?

Attorney Answers 2


This is not your ax to grind. The parent or legal guardian of a 15 year old is the only one with standing to raise legal rights on behalf of the minor. Defamation requires proof that incorrect statements of fact, not opinion, were made to third parties and that it caused harm to you. Here is a link to a guide on defamation law to help you determine whether the law applies to your circumstances.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

Mark as helpful


I would recommend that your friend remove the 20 year old as a "friend" from Facebook. Also, if the comments are false and malicious, which it sounds like they are, your friend may have a cause of action for libel/slander. If legal action is to be taken, the 15 year old's parents will have to pursue the cause of action on behalf of the minor.

Mark as helpful

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics