Slander/Libel/Defamation of Character?

Asked over 5 years ago - Arcata, CA

My fiance is going through a Family Case with the mother of his daughter. I got in trouble 10 years ago and ultimately had my criminal case dismissed 4 years ago. In the mothers response, she and her lawyer have made some really nasty statements about me that are very untrue. They state in writing that I am aggressive (untrue) and that I am a convicted felon (untrue). Is this defamation of character? I am not the same person I was 10 years ago. I work at a financial institution in my area, live in a 3 bedroom home, do not do drugs like they state in the papers. The problem I am having with this is that now all of the court clerks and court personell and the mothers lawyer have read all of these untrue statements about me. I make good money, but I can't afford a lawyer around here .

1. Jonathan H Levy

Answered . If those allegations were made as part of the Court proceeding, your remedies may be limited. The remedy would be for your fiance to make a motion to strike the offending material. I do not think you have a case for libel.

2. Jason Eric Kipness

Answered . You should contact a legal aid clinic or law school to inquire if they will provide free or low cost legal representation.