Slander and Libel

Woodbridge, VA |

Someone wrote a very vicious and mean complaint letter to the Northern Virginia Baptist Association concerning some minor irregularities that could possible be taking place at my church. While the Association said not to worry about it, I feel that I am being slandered against. My question is: Is there a Criminal Code in Virginia that covers Slander and Libel that I can use as my defense to have this person arrested?

There are laws that protect you from false statements made knowingly or with reckless disregard to the truth, but be aware that some statements are privileged and those that disseminate them, immune. Speak to local attorney, like myself, to get an opinion. This post is for general information and educational purposes and cannot be substituted for advice from an attorney in private consultation

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

A mean letter is not necessarily defamatory. Best to have a local defamation lawyer investigate.

Slander = jibber jabber. Libel = written defamation. The answer to your question? Yes. But what do you mean by a Criminal Code that you can use as your defense? That really does not make sense, no offense. I think you mean, can you file a criminal complaint that you can use as a way to have this person prosecuted. Yes. But it is not that serious of an offense. Maybe you should talk to a civil attorney.

This is not legal advice: it is intended to be used for general informational or educational purposes only. For a free case evaluation, visit

Recommended articles about Personal injury