Skip to main content

Sketcher Shape Up Shoes - Product Destroyed Feet - No Money for Treatment

Miami, FL |

Right now as we speak, my mom is laying in bed with severe pain. Her bone from her left foot (upper middle area foot) is popping up. She is crying.

I am very frustrated and feel like screaming out of anger because I don’t know what to do. I am a low income college student and my family and I live off of my student loans. We are also on food stamps, and my one of my relatives shares his SSI income with us. That is how poor we are.

Last year my mom had an inexperienced attorney who dropped our case. The shoes (Sketcher Shape Up) practically destroyed my moms feet. The medical doctors that examined my mom even stated that the shoes ruined her feet and we have medical records.
We spoke with another attorney who sued sketchers in California and she stated that my mom has to be in treatment

and get surgery before she takes the case. How can my mom get treatment if we have NO money? So a multimillion dollar company destroyed my mother’s feet and they’re going to get away because we have NO money. And because we have NO money, my mom’s feet are going to continue to go untreated to a point where she can’t even walk anymore. There is something wrong with this picture. If I take my mom to the ER, those people are going to give her the “half fast track treatment” and not do anything for her. When a person is uninsured medically, they’re treated like bacteria. And I am aware that physicians only care about making money. Fact not an opinion. As stated by the doctor, my mom needs surgery but we cannot afford it. My mom needs help and I don’t know where else to go to or to see. We are between the cracks.

Attorney Answers 4


You need to contact another med/mal attorney. You also need to speak with that attorney as to whether he is familiar with any reputable organizations that will assist with funding while your lawsuit is pending. (They are out there, but I cannot vouch for their quality or reputation, etc.)

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Keep looking for an attorney in your area who is willing to take this case. Just because one attorney abandoned you and another put up an obstacle doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of experienced personal injury/product liability attorneys who would be willing to handle this case for your mother.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


If I understand your comments correctly, you need to consult with an attorney who practices in product liability and not medical malpractice. If the attorney determines your mother has a viable case, many physicians will accept and treat your mother based on a Letter of Protection from the attorney. On that basis, no medical insurance is needed.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


This is a products liability case. Many lawyers in Miami handle them, Start calling them. You may find someone who knows of a surgeon that will help your mother but wait for payment until the claim is resolved.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed.

Mark as helpful

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics