Sitting in a court with others observing a criminal proceeding, I could often not hear what the judge was saying.

Asked about 2 years ago - College Park, MD

I have two questions.
1) Can I get an audio copy or transcript of the preliminary hearing?

2) Is what the attorneys (D.A. & public defender) say to the judge in a sidebar public record?

Thanks, I hope to learn much. Maybe I'll be an attorney one day, the process was all very interesting.

1. Jonathan Neal Portner

Pro

Answered . The comments made by the A.S.A and Defense Counsel are off the record when they approach the bench.

2. Richard F Kodzis

Pro

Answered . An audio recording can be ordered from the district court for $15.00. The court has an order form; you need to know the name of the case, case number and date of trial/hearing. Takes about two weeks to receive.

Mr. Portner is correct about the bench conference.

3. William Lawrence Welch III

Answered . You may get a copy by requesting it at the Clerk's Office, and everything in a court of record is public, unless the court seals it for good cause.

4. John C Belcher

Answered . The correct answer to the first question is yes. The correct answer to the second question is usually. Possibly one of the attorneys or the judge asked to go off the record to discuss some matter not directly related to the case, for example a personal matter or something relating to another case in which both attorneys happened to be involved. Otherwise, any discussion bearing on the judge's rulings should be transparent, meaning recorded.