Sister owed mother money. Am I entitled to half the amount that should have been paid.

Asked about 1 year ago - Polk City, FL

My mother died recently. My sister owed mother a lot of money. The debt was from around 1997,1998. Mother was told to keep track of the money and she would pay back sometime. Mother had a file. She's paid nothing. I think I should get half the amount owed from her share of estate. Am I right or wrong?

1. Carol Anne Johnson

7

Answered . I agree with Attorney Reed. Additionally, many times loans to family members are forgiven in wills. And, since the loan was between your mother and your sister, it is their concern - not yours. If your mother had been concerned about getting HER money back, she could have pursued that. She didn't. Let it go.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Did mother have anything in writing?
    Was it secured with a mortgage of any type?
    Were any payments paid with proof of payment?
    You have to overcome any statute of limitations problems
    with a legal reason..

3. Celia R Reed

7

Answered . If the debt was from 1998, then the statute of limitations would have expired on the loan. This means your mother could not have sued to collect the money at the time she died. Therefore, it is probably not part of her estate and you will not inherit any of that money.

4. Christopher Quinn Wintter

2

Answered . First, let me say that I agree that as a practical matter, you might want to forget it. However, many loans between family members are demand loans and we have successfully collected them. The Statute of limitations should not begin to run on a demand loan until demand is made.

How much was the loan? Who is the Personal Representative? How much do you want to spend in attorneys' fees? Those are all questions you need to ask.