Since the repairman didn’t fix the washing machine, can we get any money back or credit towards further repairs?

Asked over 4 years ago - Waukesha, WI

We had the repairman out to fix our washing machine, which was making a very loud noise. He stated that labor and parts would cost $335 plus a trip charge of $50. After the work was done, we paid him with a check.

As soon as he left, we put a load in the washing machine. It made the same noise as before. We immediately called his office to advise that the noise is still there. The secretary advised that he would call us back.

When he called, he said he could put in another part for $400. We said we didn’t feel we should have to pay for another part when the first part didn’t fix the machine. Since the repairman didn’t fix the washing machine, can we get any money back or credit towards further repairs? With an appliance repair, what is required of the serviceman?

1. Kristopher Jon Krentz

Best Answer

Answered . Your only legal recourse is small claims court. This link provides a great resource that explains the process: http://www.wicourts.gov/about/pubs/circuit/docs....
    I believe the current filing fee for small claims is around $95.

Many of my clients found success through the better business bureau complaint process and/or the complaint processes provided by the trade association that oversees the industry involved.

These are you two best routes to have your concerns addressed by a third party to hopefully induce action by the repairmanc. Unfortunately, there are not enough facts to advise whether or not the repairman is legally responsible for any costs or if this is a case of just bad luck. Be sure to remove emotion from the process and try your best to objectively consider what occured before taking any legal action.

2. Todd Eric Gallinger

Answered . With an amount this small, it is not likely to be worth the time and money to pursue it legally. The filing fee for a small claims court is higher that the amount in controversy.

If you do feel like he was dishonest, I would try reporting him to the Better Business Bureau or leaving a review at a consumer website, like Yelp. Maybe then he would be willing to help.

However, sometimes it is ordinary for a repair person to try a cheaper fix before a more expensive one. You may want to get a second opinion to see if what he did was actually necessary.