Skip to main content

Since my wife removed all of our marital assets from my home, can she make me pay for half of what's owed?

Londonderry, NH |

She came to my home when I wasn't there and removed everything. She even took property she previously agreed to let me keep. I trusted her to keep her word when we agreed what to split but she reneged on our agreement. Now she wants me to pay for half of the property when it is all in her exclusive possession. Can she get away with this?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Usually, judges order that the debt follows on whatever it is owed.

  2. It's unlikely that a court would make you responsible for a debt attached to property she retains possession of.
    Have you considered mediation?

  3. If you don't have a final order, you can still ask for a portion of the property she removed. Take photos of the empty house to show that everything was taken and prepare of list of what you want back to effectuate an equal division of the property. I agree that this can be addressed through mediation.

    Disclaimer: This response is offered for educational purpose only. This response in no way creates an attorney-client relationship between Anna Goulet Zimmerman/Law Office of Manning & Zimmerman, PLLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided, and could be different if additional facts were known.

  4. Have you talked to your attorney about this? Is everyone aware of what was agreed to? You need to be able to show that she didn't keep her word, so I am hoping that you had a list of property for each spouse. I agree with the other answer that suggests you photograph the empty house, to show that it's all gone.

    Is this “helpful” or a “best” answer? Please mark it if it was, and I hope it was! Thank you! Nancy L. Ballast is an attorney in west Michigan, with a practice centered on family law, estate planning, and criminal law.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics