Skip to main content

Since I have custody of my two childern and was never married to their father but he does pay support who claims them on taxes?

Madison, IN |

My boys are 2 and 4

Attorney Answers 1


The answer will depend on whether there is any type of court order granting him the right to claim the children. Without such an order, the default will generally be that the custodial parent has the right to claim. Otherwise, here is the IRS pub on this issue.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics