Simple or severe misconduct

Asked over 3 years ago - Somerdale, NJ

I was let go from my job and filed for unemployment, i had a phone interview afterwards was sent a letter stating i was let go for simple misconduct associated with the work and would have a 7 week suspension.
I appealed the decision then recieved a letter for an appeal date which states i was fired for severe misconduct.?
how is that possible after the first determination was for simple misconduct ?

1. Natalia V Shishkin

Answered . You probably mean the Notice of Appeal Hearing, which states that one of the issues to be determined in the hearing is whether you actions rise the level of severe misconduct. A finding of severe misconduct would disqualify you from receiving benefits until you get re-employed and earn a certain amount of money. I would recommend that you discuss with an attorney whether you should risk it in an effort to get 7 additional weeks of benefits. One option is to withdraw the appeal.

Good luck,

Natalia Shishkin, Esq.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

I am licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. My response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. To get specific legal advice please contact an attorney within your jurisdiction.