Simple no-fault or uncontested divorce, PA law 90 day waiting period start date?

York, PA |

I know that PA divorce law requires you to wait 90 day for a no-fault divorce. I was just wondering if it's 90 days after the date when I first filed for the divorce or 90 days after I served my spouse with the divorce papers? When does the 90 days start?

1. The 90 days starts upon the date of filing the papers upon your spouse. So, if you do it by certified mail restricted delivery, it would be the day they sign for the papers. If you do it by process server, it would be the day they handed the papers over.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state

2. The mandatory 90 days waiting does not start until your spouse has been served with the divorce complaint.

The above answer is intended solely for general informational purposes and does not create an attorney client relationship. You should consult with an experienced attorney regarding all of the details of your particular situation before taking action.

3. The 90-day period starts whenever the papers are served. As stated above, the proof of service date is either the date the mail is received, as proved by a signature; or the date the papers are served on him by a process server.

4. It starts from the date your spouse was served with the complaint.

I am a Pennsylvania attorney. The information provided in this response is for informational purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice. This information does not create an attorney-client relationship between us.