Simple assault

Asked over 1 year ago - College Station, TX

My wife and me fight and both of us have some scratches. Policemen came and asked many questions and finally my wife was arrested for simple assault. we did not put charge on each other. I want to know what kind of result will be

1. Stephen Andrew Hamer

8

Answered . No way to tell you the result with certainty. Contact a local criminal defense attorney right away if you want to help her. They have better access to speak with prosecutors and possibly get charge dismissed.

2. Stephen A. Gustitis

8

Answered . In Brazos County there's an excellent chance the prosector will file charges against your wife. However, there are effective defense strategies we can use to improve the opportunities for positive outcome for her. These issues are best discussed in private. Please contact a qualified criminal defense lawyer in Bryan/College Station to assist you. Time may be of the essence.

3. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

4

Answered . Any assault that involves injuries of any kind is considered an "assault with bodily injury".

A police officer does not necessarily arrest for the most serious offense that might have been committed.

A prosecutor is not bound to leave the offense at the level the police officer thought he or she faced when making the arrest.

So, the prosecutor might well take a class C (bottom level) "simple assault" and raise it to a class A misdemeanor (top level bodily injury misdemeanor assault) when and if it gets filed.

That is why I strongly agree with Mr. Gustitis about not delaying in getting a lawyer to address the matter.

A criminal defense lawyer may be able to convince a prosecutor to not raised the level of the charge if the case was originally filed as a class C.