Simple Assault

Asked almost 2 years ago - Freehold, NJ

I was arrest and released with $150 bond. My charge was "simple assault" on my girlfriend? What should I expect on my court day? I'm nervous

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mark M Cheser

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Simple assault is a disorderly persons offense. It carries a maximum penalty of 180 days jail, about $125 in assessments and court costs. There can be one year or more of probation. On a first offense no jail is the norm, no probation, just a fine. Your record is the issue. You already have an arrest record. If convicted, even of a downgraded ordinance, you will have to wait before you can petition to remove this entry, 2 years on an ordinance 5 years on a DP. However, if your gf is on board the prosecutor and Judge can be persuaded to dismiss. Call with more information.

  2. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You check in with the court clerk. The prosecutor will then call your case, tell you what you're charged with, the maximum penalty if you're convicted and how you plead. Be sure to plead not guilty. Then they will ask if you wish to speak to a lawyer, apply for the public defender or represent yourself. DO NOT pick option 3. You are facing up to 6 months in jail if you're convicted and up to $1,000 fine. Contact an attorney to assist you. If you need time to retain an attorney, then ask the court for more time. They will almost certainly give you some time to get a lawyer. Good luck in court.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree... more
  3. James Alexander Abate


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your case will be called, you will be read the charges and penalties and offered the opportunity to plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead guilty you will be sentanced. If you plead not guilty, you will be offered the opportunity to retain a lawyer or apply for the public defender.

    Law Offices of James A. Abate (732) 412-2364

Related Topics

Criminal charges for domestic violence

Domestic violence is physically, sexually, emotionally, economically, or mentally abusive behavior used to control an intimate romantic partner.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,140 answers this week

3,199 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,140 answers this week

3,199 attorneys answering