Similar name, different business?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am starting a company and I want a similar name as another company in town . Only a couple letters are different . The business services are entirely different . Is this OK ?

1. David William Leonard

6

Answered . If the similarity is causing consumer confusion between the two companies, and the other company can show that the confusion is costing them business, you could have a problem. Why go there if you don't have to?

This is general information and not meant as specific legal advice for any particular situation.
  2. Michael Charles Doland

5

Answered . Legally it "may" be OK but it's not a good idea, commercially or legally. While your investment is low, seek originality so you are not always having to justify a "technicality" in the future.

3. Clayton Harold Walker Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . It doesn't sound like the best of plans. A few characters off can be deceptively similar even if the business is different. However, the factual specifics are important in evaluating your prospects and you've withheld them. You've also not suggested that you've considered the state wide aspects of issue. You should see an attorney to get a better answer

4. Kalpana Nagampalli

Pro

Answered . The senior user of a mark can oppose an application even if the business services are entirely different. The Trademark office will look to see if the earlier users mark is strong and the customer perception of the senior mark. If you are offering services in the same town and the marks are are the same/similar in appearance, pronunciation, connotation and commercial impression it could be confusing to customers.

I agree with other answers here that if you intent to go down this path, it is worth consulting a lawyer.