Signed non-compete for 3 years. Decided to compete. Now getting sued. Clause too broad? they request relief for 6 months. Why?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I signed a non - compete when I first started working as an independent contractor . The industry is INTERNET services . The clause states that for 3 years I cannot " compete , solicit , or - accept - business from any customer or - potential - customer " of company ( emphasis added by myself ) . I decided to compete anyway , and I got served with a non - compete breach of contract . From reading NY law , 3 years is often too long , especially in the on line space . And one could argue that potential client's without geographic restrictions ( since it's INTERNET , doesn't matter where the client is located ) is too broad as well . Am I correct ? In the end , I did get sued , and they request relief only for 6 months . Is this their attempt at making the N . C . less broad ? Can they win this ? I'll be talking to an atty .

1. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

2

1

Answered . Seems over road to me. NY Courts can limit an overbroad noncompete and enforce to the extent necessary to protect legitimate business interests, but, only where the employer acted in good-faith and did not overreach when implementing the noncompete. One of the cases to look at is the Scott Stackrow case from a few years back. Best of luck.

2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

Answered . They are attempting to narrow the scope of the Non-compete because they have been told that a three year non compete is too broad. They can win, but more information is necessary. You need to meet with an attorney asap.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . Hire an attorney.

4. Ray Beckerman

Pro

1

Answered . I have been litigating these types of clauses since 1974. You shouldn't be trying to figure out whether it's enforceable or not, or to what extent; you should be retaining a law firm like mine to defend you in the litigation before your time to respond to the complaint expires.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now