Signed adoption surrender form....but it wasn't used for adoption but just for a name change...is that legal?

Asked 4 months ago - Cambridge, MA

Hello, I had signed an adoption consent form for a step-parent adoption....however, my teenage daughter said that she only got her name changed to the step-fathers last name and that they didn't go through with the adoption....I never received any notification of the name change at all from the court. Was it legal to just change my daughter's name without my consent...I only consented to adoption, I did not consent to a petition for a name change so it seems that I was duped in order for the step father to simply put his name on my daughter but yet not take full responsibility for her. How can I get any information from the court on this? I would appreciate some help on this matter. Thank you.

1. Michael J. Szklasz

Pro

Answered . The surrender form means that you surrendered all rights to your child. You can inquire at the court as to the name change. You then have to file a motion to vacate the name change for lack of notice unless it was published. Why does it matter what what your daughter's last name is if you knowing and voluntarily signed over your rights? If they did go through with an adoption, her name would have been changed anyway. Are they pursuing you for child support or other? It will be difficult to change anything that they have done due to the form you signed.