Signed a one year lease in July 2012 and landlord never gave me my copy. I had two witnesses when I signed it.

Asked over 1 year ago - Marietta, OH

My son committed suicide in Dec. 2012 and my landlord made a statement about his religious beliefs on suicide and then came back with a paper saying I had to move in 22 days if I didn't agree to buy property by 1-20-2013. February rent was paid by check and cashed by him. Just paid March rent and he now says I have 6 days to move. If he cashes March's rent check is all voided to make me move?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

6

Answered . A LL has NO power to evict. Only a court does. Depending on what your lease says, what type of tenancy you have (apartment, house, room in house; weekly, monthly, annual) your rights may vary a bit--at bottom remember the LL must use your state courts if he/she is going to force you out.

First thing a lawyer is going to need to see is your lease agreement. If your lease is oral and month to month (or written and month to month for that matter) the LL still has to give you proper WRITTEN notice of termination.

Contact a local landlord tenant attorney (many give free consultations) and have a quick chat--it souldn't take long to figure out your status--and don't let that LL bluff you into anything.

2. Kerrie Kathleen Matre

Pro

2

Answered . Two issues come to mind...
    The first is that as long as you are paying as set out in the Lease, you cannot be evicted. Secondly, if he is discriminating against you on the basis of religion or religious beliefs, you definitely want to speak with an attorney!