Signed a one year lease in July 2012 and landlord never gave me my copy. I had two witnesses when I signed it.

Marietta, OH |

My son committed suicide in Dec. 2012 and my landlord made a statement about his religious beliefs on suicide and then came back with a paper saying I had to move in 22 days if I didn't agree to buy property by 1-20-2013. February rent was paid by check and cashed by him. Just paid March rent and he now says I have 6 days to move. If he cashes March's rent check is all voided to make me move?

1. A LL has NO power to evict. Only a court does. Depending on what your lease says, what type of tenancy you have (apartment, house, room in house; weekly, monthly, annual) your rights may vary a bit--at bottom remember the LL must use your state courts if he/she is going to force you out.

First thing a lawyer is going to need to see is your lease agreement. If your lease is oral and month to month (or written and month to month for that matter) the LL still has to give you proper WRITTEN notice of termination.

Contact a local landlord tenant attorney (many give free consultations) and have a quick chat--it souldn't take long to figure out your status--and don't let that LL bluff you into anything.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

2. Two issues come to mind...
    The first is that as long as you are paying as set out in the Lease, you cannot be evicted. Secondly, if he is discriminating against you on the basis of religion or religious beliefs, you definitely want to speak with an attorney!

I am an Ohio-licensed attorney. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting me does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised. kmatre@matrelaw.com