Shouldn't the IRS cancel its tax liens now that I'm in Currently Not Collectible status on the debts?

Asked 7 months ago - Des Moines, IA

I discovered 2 IRS tax liens listed on my credit report. After seeing this, I contacted the IRS and got these debts into Currently Not Collectible status. However, the liens still remain on my credit report. I know what CNC status entails, but I'm wondering if I can now ask the IRS to remove the lien.

1. Thomas O. Moens

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . If the liens were released, the IRS would lose priority to other lienholders, so I doubt they would be interested in releasing their liens. The currently not collectible status is temporary--you will still be expected to pay when you are in a better financial situation.

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

3

1

Answered . Currently Not Collectible is a temporary status. That means the IRS will review this in 2 years. Therefore, it would not be in your best interest to ask for the lien to be removed. Frankly, you should discuss the specifics with a tax attorney.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

3. Thomas J. Wagner

1

Answered . Even if the liens were removed from the county records, the debts would likely still appear on your credit report.