Shouldn't the IRS cancel its tax liens now that I'm in Currently Not Collectible status on the debts?

Des Moines, IA |

I discovered 2 IRS tax liens listed on my credit report. After seeing this, I contacted the IRS and got these debts into Currently Not Collectible status. However, the liens still remain on my credit report. I know what CNC status entails, but I'm wondering if I can now ask the IRS to remove the lien.

If the liens were released, the IRS would lose priority to other lienholders, so I doubt they would be interested in releasing their liens. The currently not collectible status is temporary--you will still be expected to pay when you are in a better financial situation.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Currently Not Collectible is a temporary status. That means the IRS will review this in 2 years. Therefore, it would not be in your best interest to ask for the lien to be removed. Frankly, you should discuss the specifics with a tax attorney.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary for you to try prove this answer is "wrong" or something with which you do not agree. This is a free service for you based on limited facts. Nevertheless, many times you need to consult an attorney with the details to get actual advice specific to your concerns. Do not put too many details in your questions or comments because this makes the information public and could hurt you. Government Regulations contained in IRS Circular 230 regulate written communications about Federal tax matters, including e-mail, between us and our clients. This is another attempt by the government to limit your rights and to extend the control of government over individuals and businesses. Nevertheless, such communications are either opinions or other written communications. This is not an opinion. It is other written communication and was not written to be relied upon, by itself, to avoid any tax penalties. In order to receive assurances of protection from tax penalties from a written communication, you should get an opinion letter. If you would like to discuss an opinion letter relating to any matter, please contact me and I will explain what is involved and what it will cost.

Even if the liens were removed from the county records, the debts would likely still appear on your credit report.

Tax law topics