Should you file tax return even if you didnt work in 2012?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

my friend has 2 minor kids and did not work for 2012. Can she still file taxes with the fact that she was a homemaker taking care of her kids for the entire year. or should she Not file for 2012.

1. Joseph William Lehn

2

Answered . Many people are of the opinion that if they did not earn income then they do not need to file a tax return for that year. I believe this is erroneous. I advise you to file the tax return and simply state no income.

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

2

1

Answered . Yes, every adult should file a federal and state tax return every year. The reason for this is to start the statute of limitations running. The IRS has a three-year statute of limitations for auditing a tax return that only starts if the tax return is filed. Your friends tax return would be very simple and some tax preparers will prepare it at a minimal charge.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio
    www.TaxEsq.com