Should you file tax return even if you didnt work in 2012?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

my friend has 2 minor kids and did not work for 2012. Can she still file taxes with the fact that she was a homemaker taking care of her kids for the entire year. or should she Not file for 2012.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Joseph William Lehn

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many people are of the opinion that if they did not earn income then they do not need to file a tax return for that year. I believe this is erroneous. I advise you to file the tax return and simply state no income.

  2. Ronald J Cappuccio


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes, every adult should file a federal and state tax return every year. The reason for this is to start the statute of limitations running. The IRS has a three-year statute of limitations for auditing a tax return that only starts if the tax return is filed. Your friends tax return would be very simple and some tax preparers will prepare it at a minimal charge.

    I hope this helps!

    Ron Cappuccio

    If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,284 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,284 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering