Skip to main content

Should we hire an attorney in hopes of reducing the charges/points for a NC Uniform Citation (minor single car accident)?

Matthews, NC |

My son was issued a citation for G.S 20-154 and G.S. 20-141A after running off the road, over-correcting to hit a mailbox on the other side and ending in ditch. No witnesses but another car came along, checked on him and called 911. Home owner came out and my son provided all of his info in order to pay for the mailbox. HP wrote him up as "failing to see before turning from a direct line that such movement could be made in safety" 20-154 and "operate a vehicle at speed greater than was reasonable and prudent under the conditions then existing" 20-141A (the road was wet after a rain shower). The officer also suggested my son take a letter from the home owner to court stating the damage was paid for (assume the damage is mentioned in the accident report which we haven't received yet).

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should at least consult with an attorney. Many ethical attorneys will let you know if it is something you need counsel for or you can do it yourself.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


Hire a traffic lawyer. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


Most times having proof of payment of damages goes a long way in these types of cases. The sure way to get the best result is to hire an attorney and let the attorney handle the whole matter for you. Good luck.

Answers to this or any question on this site does not create an attorney client relationship. Answers are provided for informational purposes only.


You should be careful in the way that you approach the homeowner as your son's statements could be used against him. Having an attorney who interacts with the homeowner can avoid those types of issues. Also an experienced attorney would be able to negotiate with the District Attorney for you. Usually if you're not sure if you need an attorney you probably do.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer