Should we have waited for the i-601 a provisional waiver and risk our case getting closed?

Asked about 2 years ago - Jackson, MS

*12 years in the us.* My mother's husband, my stepdad, is a u.s citizen so we filed a I-130 for my mom and i with the help of a notario that was recommended to us and because it was more affordable to us than a lawyer. Our case was approved but the notario advice us to wait for the provisional waiver to come out before continuing with our case since i was still in high school and we were scared that we would have to leave the u.s for the interview without me getting to graduate. We've been waiting for the waiver for a really long time and i graduated this past may, so we decided to tell the notario to continue with our case because we are afraid of the case closing. Did we make the right choice and can the old i-160 waiver still be applied for? By the way is it to late to get a lawyer now?

1. Ari J Sauer

Pro

1

Answered . It is not too late to get a lawyer. You should definitely hire a lawyer before moving forward. An attorney will be able to address your concerns about the case closing and can give you the information you need to be able to decide whether to apply for the I-601 at the consulate or to continue to wait for the provisional waiver program. Also an attorney can determine if you might be eligible for any additional immigration programs, such as DACA deferred action.

Ari Sauer
    The Immigration Answer Man
    Siskind Susser Law Firm
    Memphis, TN
    901-682-6455
    www.visalaw.com/ari
    www.immigrationanswerman.com
    www.facebook.com/the.immigration.answer.man

2. Veronica Tunitsky

1

Answered . My dear, waivers are extremely complicated. I know because that's the majority of my work. Having them handled by a notario is not the best idea. Also, you're having this person give you advice about matter that have serious consequences - should you wait, should you stay, should you leave, are you eligible? Would you go to someone who's known to give good footrubs if you needed foot surgery?

3. Robert Henry Beer

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Get rid of the notario RIGHT NOW. What is more important to you the price or getting the decision you want? While an attorney CANNOT guarantee you the results you want,. they at least are regulated by State Bars. and have to abide by the rules of professional conduct and State Bar rules. Do you have a copy of what the notario has done to date? If not, get your documents back before you fire the notario. I don't trust notarios are far as I can throw them.