Skip to main content

Should we get a laywer now or if we have issues with the insurance company or the other driver who was responsible?

Chandler, AZ |

My boyfriend is currently in the ER of the local hospital after an auto accident. He was in a chevy suburban, I'm not sure what the other vehicle was but our vehicle has very little damage and the other's entire trunk was crumpled. My boyfriend is now complaining of pain in his wrist, shoulder, back and neck. My boyfriend says she turned right in front of him into his lane when she had a red light and then stopped right in front of him and he would up running into the back end of her vehicle. I know it's likely we'll have issues getting his medical care completely paid for but should we get legal help before or after we start having issues?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


YES, without a doubt. Get a lawyer now to help with everything. Often they can head off problems before they arise and prevent certain minor issues from becoming major issues. While I am happy to assist your boyfriend, please do contact someone reputable.



Thanks, I'm doing attorney research right now... finding reviews and adding the reviews to a special folder in my favorites for him to look at when he gets home if he's feeling well enough. He'll likely be pretty sore but it's unlikely he'll be incapacitated in any way as he managed to not only drive home but also drive himself to the hospital (though I've put my dad on a heads up in case he needs a ride home as he was getting more sore by the minute which is why he headed for the ER). Do you do work in arizona yourself or would it be an associate of yours if we went through your firm?

Geoffrey Trachtenberg

Geoffrey Trachtenberg


Good thinking. Yes, I am in Arizona and I would personally handle the case. Feel free to email me at


Hire the personal inujury attorney as soon as your boyfriend is healthy enough to make a reasoned decision regarding representation. Waiting solves no problems. In the interim, tell him to focus on healing and tell him he owes no communication to any insurance carrier!

Good luck to both of you.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Sorry to hear about the accident and I hope everything turns out well. Tell him not to give any recorded statements. Call your insurance company and the other drivers insurance company to inform them of the accident (but again do not give the other sides insurance company a recorded statement). Make sure he follows up with doctors. An attorney can help resolve these issues while he tries to get better.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.


I am sorry this happened to your boyfriend and I hope he has a speedy recovery. I understand being in an accident can be very frustrating and very confusing. Both attorneys make very good points. Waiting to seek legal representation will likely only create more problems for you and your boyfriend. It would be in your best interests to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible and allow him or her to address this issue for you and head off any problems which may arise. Remember, the insurance company is going to have a professional on their side and his or her job is to find a way to deny your claim or pay you as little as possible. You should have a professional on your side as well. Most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations and work on a fee basis where there is no out of pocket legal fees to you. Good luck to you and your boyfriend.


It is always advisable to get legal help as soon as possible. Especially in a disputed liability case, time may be of the essence in investigation, including getting witness statements. Even in cases where liability is not disputed, a good personal injury attorney will benefit your boyfriend in many ways including handling all correspondence with the insurance companies, obtaining all medical records and bills, negotiating with the insurance company and any lien holders claiming part of his settlement etc. Although you do pay a signficant portion of any settlement for attorney's fees, this is typically offset by the additional money that will be received due to the attorney's involvement, the reduction by negotiation of payments for liens and medical bills, and the service of performing many little things to help the case that are routine to the attorney, but your boyfriend would not know to do himself because he has no experience in these matters.

Good luck.


Now is the time to hire a personal injury attorney, not later.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


Now is the time to get a lawyer to help.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


It is never a detriment to at least speak with a personal injury attorney. At a minimum even if he/she does not take your case, he/she will likely provide you with invaluable information in dealing with the insurance company. As a former adjuster I fully agree with each of the other attorney's comments. Remember no matter how friendly or ready to provide assistance the adjuster appears, their duty is to their insured not you.

The above statement does not create an attorney-client relationship and the submitting party should not consider the responding their attorney.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer